About CPO® Certification
NOTE: Due to continued measures here in Indiana to combat the spread of COVID-19 aka Coronavirus, our April CPO course has been rescheduled to June 2nd and 3rd. All other details remain the same. Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this.
A CPO is recognized worldwide as a leader in the swimming pool industry. The CPO seal of approval is the assurance to commercial pool and spa owners that their facilities and guests are under the care and supervision of a trained professional. CPO® certification courses are designed to provide individuals with the basic knowledge, techniques, and skills of pool and spa operations.
The Pool & Hot Tub Alliance® (Formerly the National Swimming Pool Foundation) Certified Pool/Spa Operator® certification program has delivered more training than any other program in the pool and spa industry since 1972, resulting in more than 200,000 successful CPO® certifications in 44 countries. The CPO® certification program is widely accepted by health departments. The PHTA® Pool & Spa Operator™ Handbook has been updated to include the most current information available, including the addition of metric calculations. Instructors receive comprehensive training and certification to teach the CPO® certification program. These instructors represent every segment in the aquatic industry including operators, health officials, service professionals, builders, manufacturers, property managers, retailers, and academicians. The training these instructors provide has helped protect millions of swimmers by reducing hazards at aquatic facilities.
Not every state or county requires pool operator certification. While some require pool operators to maintain certification from a recognized program, other states only require that pool operators be “knowledgeable” in pool operations. Following a catastrophic incident such as a drowning or spinal injury, demonstrating adequate operator knowledge becomes a burden of the defense. Unfortunately, some states have no mention of pool operator training requirements in their codes.
- The CPO® certification program requires participation in either a two-day class (14-16 hours) taught by a certified instructor or the blended format that combines the online Pool Operator Primer™ and one day of the Pool Operator Fusion™ class of instruction
- The CPO® certification program includes pool and spa chemistry, testing, treatment, filtration, maintenance, automatic feeding equipment, government requirements
- The CPO® certification program requires an open book, written examination
- The CPO® certification is valid five years
Benefits of CPO® Certification
- Proven educational tool
- Widely accepted by local and state authorities
- Covers topics necessary for pool operators including a section for local and state codes
- Comprehensive handbook
- All courses are taught by NSPF® certified instructors
- The CPO® certification is recognized nationally and internationally
- Gives participants a better understanding of the operator’s role in pool care and management
- The CPO® Certification program is now eligible for IACET Continuing Education Credits (CEUs)
A Proven Tool for All Aquatics Professionals
Leisure Pool & Spa Supply, Inc. strongly recommends that all swimming pool operators maintain current certification from an approved, nationally-recognized pool operator certification program. For aquatic professionals, this has become a standard of care in the industry. Research from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and others has shown that a properly certified pool operator makes a significant difference in the safe and healthy operation of an aquatic facility. From a business perspective, minimizing risks of injury and financial loss by having a properly certified manager on staff is a prudent business choice.
- Spa Managers
- Pool Managers
- Pool/Spa Owners
- Facility Managers
- Maintenance Staff
- Seasonal Aquatic Staff
- Public Health Department Sanitarians
- Hotel and Motel Staff
- Pool/Spa Service Personal
- Water Park Owners/Operators/Maintenence Persons
Certification Course Details
Class Length: Two (2) Days
Class Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Fee Includes all course materials.
Lunch breaks will be provided each day. Lunch is on your own.
Classes are limited to the first thirty (30) registrations.
- Class Date TBA – June Course Postponed due to COVID-19
- Aquatic Center – Elkhart Health & Aquatics
- 200 E Jackson Blvd, Elkhart, IN 46516
- Next Class Date TBA
- University of Notre Dame, Rolfs Aquatic Center
Notre Dame/South Bend, Indiana
Leisure Pool & Spa Supply, Inc. – Premier Aquatic Construction, dba – Service Since 1982